Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tonkatsu by Ma Maison

For Tonkatsu in Singapore, I’ve always visited Tonkichi chain which in my opinion is very good and similar resemblance to a good tonkatsu I had in Tokyo. So, when I saw Ma Maison at Mandarin Gallery also claiming Tonkatsu speciality, I was not keen to try. Then, I changed my mind after reading few comments on how good Ma Maison on their Tonkatsu, with something different on its menu compared to other Tonkatsu restaurant.

So, I called up on Thursday and turned out, the Reservation quota was already full for Saturday so we could only walked-in, which was still ok for 12 pm but there was long queue from 12.30 pm onwards.

When I read the  menu, it struck me that Ma Maison originated from Nagoya, no wonder it has certain style of Tonkatsu, different from other Tonkatsu restaurants.

Staff mostly are young and prompt in service, but not that personable, still alright though for Singapore What I disliked was the closeness of tables, less privacy for sure.

I felt my Hire Katsu was firmer compared to Tonkichi version. And the sesame was put inside a container which when  you turned, it will be grinded on same time, I do prefer the one we grind ourselves, it has more richness in it, whereas the ready made didn't feel a thing.

What I like most from Ma Maison that they offer Mixed Grain Rice instead of White Rice, this is certainly commendable.

Not my fave Tonkatsu restaurant, it is not as refine as Tonkichi style.



Felt a tinge of irony when I saw this lamp shades..ha..ha..

The pot that usually used for storing sauces, as a display ornaments near the entrance

View to kitchen, ceiling are painted black


Some display ornaments on the wall


 The external seating area, near the elevator..

The menu



The table arrangement..authentic Japanese table style like those in Japan

The Tonkatsu Sauce, there is also Curry Sauce in brown pot

The goodness of radish, my fave... it was provided in Ma Maison..another difference

The Hungarian Rosu Katsu, I felt there was a bit of smell (?)..maybe just my smelling sensory...
My Jumbo Hire Katsu, I thought they heard me wrongly, as my expectation of Hire was a small fillet and not katsu sized fillet but turned out, as the name Jumbo, it came in bigger fillet

The mixed grain rice..my fave of the day

The dessert that came with the set


Tonkatsu by Ma Maison
333A Orchard Road
#02-35/36, Mandarin Gallery
Singapore
Tel: +65 67334541

http://www.ma-maison.co.jp/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/mamaisonsg?sk=info


Opening hours:
Mon to Friday from 11 am to 3 pm / 5 pm to 10 pm
Sat to Sunday & PH from 11 am to 10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment